Short, dirty story: (longer one with details to follow)

Do not buy the first generation Musica.  It is buggy, and the features
are far more restricted than advertised.

Olive sent me two faulty units.  The first failed to boot (and could
not be re-imaged), and the second had a faulty CD player.  Besides
these warrantied, returnable issues, there are major issues with
stability and functionality.  The OS crashed or froze often.  The
networking was unreliable and often dropped or failed to connect (I
used my network diagnostic tools to investigate).  You CANNOT retrieve
files once they have been written to the Musica's hard drive!  (at
least not without buying their proprietary external backup hard drive)
Olive claims that you can attach your mp3 player to the Musica.  The
Musica will not recognize any mp3 player or other device that connects
as a hard drive (like my iRiver or most mp3 players).  It will only
recognize "iTunes" players (iPods).

Longer version: (still writing it...)

--
gobikey