gobikey Wrote:
> Longer version:  (Sorry that it's a bit of a flame to Olive)

Wow, your story gave me a flashback to the year 2000 when I was
debugging the first-ever network component player, the AudioRequest.
There were endless problems and glitches, including a proprietary OS
partition that would get corrupted upon hard reboot (not good in
Florida where we get thunderstorms almost daily in the summer).

The sound chip in the original model was so bad (I think it was rated
at 40-12000 hz or something) that every unit was recalled for an audio
chip upgrade after several bad national reviews panning the sound
quality.

The 17GB hard drive was laughably small, the CD info lookup was flaky
and inaccurate, the mp3 encoders were average at best, the Windows
software was extremely buggy, file transfers to and from the player
were maddeningly slow, the system bogged down with anything resembling
a large collection (though adding more RAM usually helped).  In short,
it was barely beta-quality.

AudioRequest eventually addressed most of these complaints, but the
price of the units jumped from $800 to multi-thousand dollars (even
funnier is the pricing structure, like $3000 for a 120GB model, $4500
for a 200GB model - only difference is the slightly larger hard
drive!)

>From your tales of the Olive Musica, it seems that these all-in-one
units are still suffering from some of the same problems.  The Slim
philosophy of de-coupling the player from the CPU/OS/storage is
extremely elegant.  No need to re-invent the wheel when CPUs, drives,
ripping and tagging schemes, etc are so cheap, flexible, and constantly
evolving.

--
Pale Blue Ego