John Stimson Wrote:
> This sounds reasonable.  The long rows of connected holes are typically
> meant for power and/or ground.  It's too bad that there aren't three of
> them...
>
> That probably won't cause problems, since audio frequency circuits
> really aren't that sensitive to wire lengths.  On the other hand, I
> like to make my connections as short as possible anyway.  One thing to
> be avoided is making large loops formed between your signal wire and
> your ground.  Those can pick up electromagnetic interference, for
> instance from your power supply or fluorescent lights.
>

> It is for avoiding shorts.  Shorts suck.
>
> You can imagine that your power distribution is like a plumbing system.
> Voltage is like pressure, and current is like flow.  The power supply
> is like a pump that is trying to pressurize the pipes to a fixed level.
> It has a maximum flow that it can generate before it can't keep up and
> the pressure starts to drop.  The capacitors are like big water tanks
> that fill up to a certain level due to the pressure coming from the
> pump.  Once filled, they can provide extra water flow when the pump
> can't keep up.  The pressure of the water at the outlet of the tank is
> a function of the height of the water inside the tank.
>
> A small valued capacitor is like a skinny tank.  It will fill up to the
> same height as a wide tank, but it will drain faster and therefore the
> pressure will drop faster.  A large valued capacitor is like a wide
> tank.  It takes a longer time to drain, so it can maintain the pressure
> in the pipes without the pump for a long time.
I guess I owe you for Basic Electronics 101! ;-)

Below is the layout for the circuit board. I moved things around to get
the film capacitors on the same copper pad as the pins of the IC as you
suggested. Do you see any egregious errors? In this illustration, the
copper pads are on the bottom of the board and all components and
jumpers are on top of the board.

|Filename: layout.gif                                               |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=942|

jonheal

Jon Heal says:
Have a nice day!