Hi, and thanks to everyone for all the very helpful suggestions.

I've decided to go with the modified Khartago amp, which uses a very
high quality potentiometer.  I would prefer as few extra elements in my
sound system as possible, and attenuators plus digital volume is two
compared to one.  Not to mention it'll be put together by pros who've
been building these amps for years.

So when it comes (by the end of the month I hope!) I'll have:

SB3 -> Lite DAC AH -> Odyssey Khartago with volume knob -> B&W CM4.

Sweet, simple, and won't break the bank.

--
opaqueice