Skunk Wrote:
> Even though he shuns cable
> manufacturers for using science (pseudo or not) in marketing, he uses
> none in discourse.

I think if you look around on that site a little you'll find plenty of
science.  For example:

http://tinyurl.com/p25ua

tests some speakers cables for inductance, capacitance, etc., and some
expensive cables do quite badly relative to inexpensive ones.

I'm not an electrical engineer (I'm a physicist), but it seems to me to
stand to reason that speaker cable should be very simple to design.  If
an amp outputs say 32 W to 8 ohm speakers, that's 2 amps of current
(which is really quite a lot).  At that level it's hard to imagine
something like RF or 60 Hz noise interfering much with the signal
(which I suppose is why speaker cable isn't usually shielded).  As long
as the cable impedence is low (easy with 12 or 14 gauge wire over short
distances) and you don't have a large capacitance or inductance (which
could be more affected by how you lay out the wires than the wires
themselves), I don't see where a big effect would come from.

Contrast that to RCA type interconnects, which I expect would be much
more sensitive to noise (and in fact they are typically well
shielded).

All that said, I suppose nothing substitutes for a listening test, but
at least buy from a place with a money-back policy...

--
opaqueice