Ralph,

Robin's suggestion of a ripping service is a good option because
transferring vinyl to digital (or CDs) is, if not a "labor of love,"
definitely a labor, depending on the level of your anal retentiveness.

I've done three LPs myself. I used a semi-cheapo 20-year-old Technics
linear tracking turntable, a middling Audio-Technica Cartridge routed
through the phono preamp on my ADCOM GTP-400, and into an M-Audio
Audiophile 2496 soundcard.

I recorded using Sonic Foundry Sound Forge, and I ripped the CDs using
Cakewalk Pyro.

All told I spent six to nine hours per LP.

First, I had to play the albums through several times to try to set the
recording llevel as high as possible without clipping. Sound Forge's
recording meters "mark" their highest levels, so I would start the LP
recording, walk away for 20 minutes until a side was finished and have
a look at the meters. If the highest level marked on the meters was
less than clipping, I'd increase the recording level a bit and repeat
the process. It usually took three or four attempts before I felt I had
eeked as much level out of the recording as possible.

Then I'd split the file into tracks and carefully fade the beginnings
and endings to eliminate the hiss, clicks and rumble between tracks.

In Pyro, I would use its filters to reduce hiss and pops and clicks in
the tracks themselves. This too, was a trial and error process. Too
much filtering, and the music was audibly degraded.

As you can see, it can be a lot of work.

--
jonheal

Jon Heal says:
Have a nice day!