Pat, I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  It sounds like
your talking about gain expansion where the valleys of the waveform are
maintained, and only the peaks are raised.  Gain normalization in my
software does not destroy dynamic range within a cut, it simply looks
for the loudest passage and makes that peak the full scale output of
the DAC counts and re-calculates by ratio proportions all of the other
values required to maintain a linear file. This produces no compression
or expansion. But it can change the relative dynamic range from one cut
to another on an album if each cut is *individually* normalized.  That
being the case, I process albums as single large file, then chop it
into pieces as the final step for burning CDs.

Of course, I don't need to burn CD's now that I own an SB.

Best,
eCo

--
eCo