eCo wrote:
> Pat, I don't think we're talking about the same thing.  It sounds like
> your talking about gain expansion where the valleys of the waveform are
> maintained, and only the peaks are raised.

No, normalization is simple. Find the highest (or lowest) value
in the tune, multiply every single value by a constant
so that the highest (or lowest) reaches the maximum value
of 2^15 (usually plus or minus one)

It is simple 5th grade arithmetic.

Any value of zero is kept the same, because 5th grade
arithmetic teaches that zero times anything is still zero.

Compression is the term where the loud parts are
compressed without impacting the soft parts.

> Gain normalization in my
> software does not destroy dynamic range within a cut, it simply looks
> for the loudest passage and makes that peak the full scale output of
> the DAC counts and re-calculates by ratio proportions all of the other
> values required to maintain a linear file.

Correct. It has no impact on relative range. It impacts absolute
values. But it multiplies all noise and all other signals by the single
constant. It makes the noise louder.

There is a tiny chance that the software you are using means
something else when it says "normalization" but the
standard term means multiplication of all values so
that the peak is zero dB full scale.

>   That
> being the case, I process albums as single large file, then chop it
> into pieces as the final step for burning CDs.

That only means you select the single constant for the whole album
rather than for one song. The impact on the sonic purity is the
same.

> Of course, I don't need to burn CD's now that I own an SB.

What about burning mix CDs for your car when you do road trips?

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html