It is gone already.  I'm not saying there were no differences.  They
were there, yes, and specifically appeared in the area of imaging.
However, it really varied greatly from music genre to genre and, more
importantly, from recording to recording.

I fully admit to being susceptible to the placebo effect.  This DAC was
supposed to be the latest and greatest, I have a pretty terrific,
well-thought-out system, so I bit.  The fact, though, is that the more
I listened, the more subtle the differences became.  In the end, it is
all about your experience, right?  Last night I listened to Gillian
Welch, Emmylou Harris, and Air.   With my eyes closed, kicked back on
the couch (and family out of the house!) the experience was
transporting.

What really revolutionized my system (Bel Canto Pre2, Carver amp --
don't laugh, it's every bit as good as my earlier Electrocompaniet and
McIntosh!, and Harbeth Monitor 40s) was the introduction of frequency
response measurement and equalization.  My speakers are quite linear,
but, thanks to room interactions, I have around a 10db peak at 80hz.
Taking care of *that* and otherwise normalizing response has a huge
effect.  By contrast, the DAC was subtle -- I was wrong -- and subtle
enough that the law of diminishing returns kicked in for me.

Incidentally, I'm using a Rane DEQ60L (mostly because of build quality,
but plenty of people are happy with Behringer; I bought mine as a "blem"
unit from Musicians's Friend for $500) and Fuzzmeasure software for the
mac, along with appropriate cabling, etc.  Oh, and a pair of ACI Force
subs, crossed over at 45hz (small but effective...and great to crank
for DVDs).

--
highdudgeon