ModMike Wrote:
> Sean, I'm having the same problem, with a similar setup.
>
> Newly installed SB3, sits < 12 in from the preamp, and < 18 from TT.
> Moving coil cartridge, and the phono section is inside the preamp.
> (Naim)
>
> Hum appears to be 60Hz. When I unplug the SB3 power lead, the hum drops
> 60-70% to barely audible level, can only be heard when the volume is
> cranked. With SB3 plugged in, hum is noticable easily at moderate
> volume level, but no music program. Hum is only present on TT input.
> Prior to SB3 install, NO hum or residual noise was present. I
> transcribe vinyl often and see the waveforms of what I record, and
> there is nothing like this in any files pre-SB3.
>
> SB3's SMPS is plugged into an outlet within the same room, but on a
> different side of the room. (May be same power "leg," haven't checked
> that).
>
> Moving the SB3 further away helps, but not as much as unplugging.
>
> Thoughts?

Hooking up equipment that is powered from separate outlets like you
describe is not a good idea. Even if you do not get hum it can still
kill the sound and make it flat and uninvolving. I guess the operating
conditions for the output stages get so bad that the sound quality is
affected.

Basically the power cabling in combination with the interconnects
create one or more loops. The larger the loop, the greater the pick-up
of varying electromagnetic fields (just like any coil).

--
P Floding