ModMike Wrote:
> Sean, I'm having the same problem, with a similar setup.
>
> Newly installed SB3, sits < 12 in from the preamp, and < 18 from TT.
> Moving coil cartridge, and the phono section is inside the preamp.
> (Naim)
>
> Hum appears to be 60Hz. When I unplug the SB3 power lead, the hum drops
> 60-70% to barely audible level, can only be heard when the volume is
> cranked. With SB3 plugged in, hum is noticable easily at moderate
> volume level, but no music program. Hum is only present on TT input.
> Prior to SB3 install, NO hum or residual noise was present. I
> transcribe vinyl often and see the waveforms of what I record, and
> there is nothing like this in any files pre-SB3.
>
> SB3's SMPS is plugged into an outlet within the same room, but on a
> different side of the room. (May be same power "leg," haven't checked
> that).
>
> Moving the SB3 further away helps, but not as much as unplugging.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Mike:

I'd be interested to know if your hum problem also responded to ferrite
chokes.  I was playing with my set-up again yesterday, moving the
Squeezebox closer to the tonearm, even up to the same shelf as the TT.
With the ferrite choke in place there was no hum that I could hear.  But
I was not actually visually inspecting the wave form, and presumably
there are still noise components that I'm not hearing.  The noise
attenuation claimed for the choke is limited.  This is the choke that
I'm using

http://tinyurl.com/n385t

I have the lead out of the SMPS wrapped around the choke as the picture
in the link shows, as close to the power supply as I can get it.

Cheers,
RR

--
RuefulR