Well I have just moved the speakers around a bit, brought them forward
as much as I can (30cm from the rear wall), and toed them in. I also
decided to listen to each one in turn switching over the balance - and
interestingly I noticed the right hand speaker sounded much better than
the left. In fact the left hand speaker was decidedly lacking in
treble.

I took the front panel off and discovered the tweeter had a huge dent
in it, presumably one of my offspring has wondered what the shiny black
round thing is and stuck their finger right in the middle of it!! Anyway
with careful manipulation I managed to restore said tweeter to its
former glory. Things are sounding altogether much healthier now!

The treble is crisper now I have two functioning tweeters and the bass
is much tighter, I suspect from bringing the speakers forward, and I
didnt spend a penny.

Thanks for all your help!

--
Butane Bob