pfarrell Wrote:

> I believe it is very clear cut, put the speakers and chair
> away from the wall. But if you try it and don't like it,
> I'd love to hear about your hearing experiences.
>
> --
> Pat
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Well, I've been playing with this using my large floor-standers (B&W
CM4's).  The largest room in my apartment is about big enough to
satisfy Pat's criteria, and I have to say (despite some intial
skepticism) - it works.

I never really understood what people meant talking about "soundstage"
until I tried this - if I move the speakers out five feet from the
wall, the music appears to come from between and, oddly, a bit *behind*
them.  Furthermore (at least on some recordings) there is a clear
separation in space (left to right, and even forward and back) between
different instruments, and yet none sound like they are originating
from either of the speakers.  I keep having the strange sensation that
there should be something there to make the sound, since the speakers
are not in the right place to be producing what I'm hearing...

I played around a bit with moving the speakers, and there's no question
that moving them back against the wall largely destroys this effect.
Putting them close to the wall gave a much fuzzier perception of where
the sound originates - it seems vaguely somewhere between the speakers,
but no longer behind them, and the feeling that "there should be
something there to make the sound" goes away.

Lots of fun, and my girlfriend was impressed as well and had the same
sensation (although at first she thought I was crazy), so I'm pretty
sure I'm not hallucinating!

Given that this effect is so powerful with only two (properly arranged)
speakers, it makes you wonder what could be done with more...

--
opaqueice