P Floding Wrote:
> However, I strongly believe there are things in sound reproduction that
> a "flick between the boxes" quick A/B test cannot reveal.
>
>From a scientific point of view, there's no evidence to support that
"belief". But I do understand your point and I do not want to get into
a debate about ABX blind testing...

P Floding Wrote:

> Another problem with A/B testing is that our auditory system actually
> adapts to what we are listening to. A quick switch may not let us adapt
> properly in the available time.

The process of adaption is the strongest reason why it is necessary to
switch between sources without a pause. Human senses don't respond well
to "absolute values", this is why it is so important that the comparison
takes place without pauses. (You can listen to one source as long as you
want, though.)

Imagine you would have to compare two colours, or two shades of grey
and decide which one is brighter. This is very easy if you see them
next to each other, it will be very hard if some time passes between
seeing the one and the other. Adaption is the reason for that.

P Floding Wrote:

> A/B has its place, certainly, but it won't easily resolve all aspects
> of sound reproduction.

This is arguable. However, in this special case, I believe that a A/B
comparison ist the only way... And since the original poster said that
he heard a big difference between the two sources, it should be easy to
verify that in a blind test. If cannot here the difference in a level
matched blind test, then it would be most likely that the difference he
heard was due to level differences.

Best regards,

Andreas

--