Hi Banzai,

thanks very much for the detailed response!  It's quite interesting you
hear such a big difference.  To me, of your speculations about what
might cause this effect, the most plausible is that EM radiation from
the power cable could interfere with your audio equipment or
interconnects.  However, if this is the case I think the predominant
effect would be 60 Hz noise, which sounds like a low hum if it's
getting to the speakers.  Did you hear anything like that, which went
away when you swapped in the shielded cable?

Anything else (besides shielding) seems a bit hard to buy...  for
example, using 12 gauge wire is fine, but what's the gauge of the
wiring in your walls?  I'd guess 14, but may be wrong.  In any case,
using thicker wire and conductive grease can reduce the resistance of
the connection and therefore lower the voltage, but by a really tiny
amount - for example, go here and compare gauges:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

About your friend - the thing is, if I put myself in his place, and
you'd just swapped in some fancy cable and asked me if I heard a
difference, I'd be hard pressed to say no, I don't hear anything...  so
it's tricky.  On the other hand some differences are really apparent,
like between two sets of speakers.  Would you say the difference is at
that level?

About bi-wiring, if both cables are connected to the same post on the
amp, then bi-wiring just doubles the number of wires going from amp to
speaker (so in other words it's just like using thicker speaker cable
wired the usual way).  It shouldn't matter that the wires are connected
to different posts on the speakers, since they are in electrical contact
at the amp end.  I suppose one thing that could happen is that, since
there might be some physical separation between the cables, there could
be some extra capacitance or inductance induced which wouldn't be there
in a single wire pair.  Usually, that would be considered a bad thing
(since it will change the frequency response), but I guess it might
sound better in some circumstances.  In any case if that's the
explanation you could probably test it by re-arranging the cables to
see if that has any effect on the sound.  For example, if they're long
enough, try coiling them up - that should maximize the inductance.

I'd tried bi-wiring once before and didn't hear any change, but I'll
try it again later this week when I have a chance.

--
opaqueice