I've also decided to ignore his posts, at least until he changes his
tone, as I don't find they contribute anything to the discussion.

On a more interesting subject, I've tried Tom's suggestion of turning
the speakers around.  Actually, I found this easiest to do with my
Grado phones.

First, to characterize the original difference more, there is a loud
buzzing sound with both polarities, but underlying it there seems to be
a lower frequency, more pure-tone sound.  It's the pitch of that
subdominant sound which changes between the two polarities.

With the phones reversed (each speaker facing away from my ear), it's
much harder to hear the pitch of that lower sound.  I think I can still
identify it, and it seems to be the same as with the phones in their
ordinary position, but I'm really not sure.

So this is a bit inconclusive.  I've attached a zipped WAV file with a
short version of the test file I made, in case anyone else wants to try
to give this a listen.

|Filename: polarity.wav.zip                                         |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1319|

opaqueice