Loftprojection Wrote:
> Well when I'm talking about comparing the SB to CDP it's not as a
> transport only.  I mean more like a stock of fully analog modified SB
> versus a CDP (transport/DAC).  Like you I'm quite convinced that the SB
> as a transport with or without mods is probably a great tool that can
> match a lot of CDP as "transport" only if you have an external DAC.
> It's when you use the SB as a whole that I'm not sure it can compete
> with good CDP.

but why not include an external DAC as part of the mod/upgrade plan.
The squeezebox is decent sounding right out of the box, bettering my
older proceed pcd by a handsome margin. but its real secret is that
although the squeezebox's dac section isnt SOTA, the transport aspects
are!  I have had a few dacs paired with it over the last few days and
its truley amazing, besting some very nice transports and cd players.

What im hearing now would lead me to believe (although i havent tested
this) that a stock SB3 with a nice dac would absolutly steamroll an
analoge modded SB3. not in all cases mind you, if you paired a crappy
old dac with it, im sure the modded sb3 would be nicer, but if i were
to go out and demo a couple 5-600 dollar dacs, vs spending the cash on
the mods, i think i know what would win :)

--
RooX