Lyonesse Wrote:
> What Im really talking about here is the subjective enjoyment of music,
> a difficult thing to quantify... To sum it up.. I want to listen to 4
> or 5 albums in a row rather than the 1 or 2 at present before the
> dreaded digital wearyness sets in. Music stored on hard disk rather
> than being read from a cd is a massive move forward in the right
> direction. The difference in quality is totally apparent.
You've lost me...

I thought the original premise for this thread was that the Squeezebox
as transport was inferior to your old CD player.  How can you see any
improvement if the Squeezebox is bright and uninvolving, as you stated
previously?

> Its probably true that I have become used to a coloured 'warmer' sound
> that although not as transparent as the SB was imo quite musical. It
> will probably take a while to 'adjust.
> In the meantime I may swap out my VDH Digital coax for a carbon fibre
> one, this should go some way to taming this high frequency
> sssssibilence that keeps rearing its nasty head (Thanks Deaf Cat).
Really?  Listen first before coming to any conclusions.

I would try to find the sound you like rather than hoping you adjust to
the sound you're getting.  There's not much enjoyment to be had in
taking the latter approach.

> Im anxious from reading your post JJZolx that im making a pigs ear of my
> CD rips! Do you know of a good EAC setup help file for accurate rips?
> what is your configuration?
>
> I use a Liteon DVD/CDR/RW drive. There are always more glitches on the
> louder (busier) tracks whereas quiet acoustic tracks very rarely suffer
> from glitches??.
Bits are bits.  When doing digital audio extraction there's no reason
why a busier section should be any more or less difficult to extract
than a quiet one.  Something else must going on.

> Do people here really get no glitches?... this is my procedure, please
> tell me if im doing it right: First i get cd info from the remote
> freedb, then i choose Test and copy selected tracks from the action
> menu, these are written to my cd albums folder at about 8 - 10X speed
> on average (my drive is 48 speed). I choose uncompressed .wav files to
> rip to as I have a 400gb Hard Drive. When the copying finishes i select
> 'review tracks' and use the glitch removal option on each track.
> Sometimes there are no glitches at other times there are hundreds.  Ive
> just ripped Nick Drakes Pink Moon CD (brand new remastered) there were
> 64 glitches on track 1, 6 on track 2, none on track 3, none on track 4,
> 2 on track 5, 73 on track 5, 12 on track 6 etc.
I've never heard of anyone having to do this, except maybe from damaged
discs.  Two people extracting tracks from the same pressing of a CD on
different computers, with different optical drives, will usually get
identical files - every last bit among the tens of millions of bits on
a track coming out the same.

My setup, I'm sure, is very typical.  I rip to Flac intead of WAV, for
the benefit of both the compression and the tagging, but sound-wise,
the two are the same.

Are you sure you're getting glitches, rather than hearing things that
are on the original recording?  I've heard plenty of noises on
recordings - dropped drum sticks, bumped microphones, coughs, chairs
moving.  No reason to trying fixing any of that, IMO.

> BTW  It sounds a lot more dynamic now that I have set volume to fixed.
> and theres an improvement from running the power adaptor from my mains
> conditioner (more refined)
>
> Its still Bright though  :(
You haven't mentioned what you're comparing - the analog out of your CD
player, or the CDP used as a transport?

--
JJZolx

Jim