My employer manufactures and sells broadcast graphics systems. Many of
our systems have attached RAID 5 arrays in support of video clip
record/playback capability. These run from 144 GB to >1 TB.

Because of very high bandwidth requirements we can only use Seagate
15,000 RPM SCSI drives. For boot drives we tend to use Seagate 10k rpm
SATA drives. Over the years Seagate has been proven to be the most
reliable drives. We can look back and warranty repair/replacement
records and know exactly which drive failed, when and why.

When other manufacturers introduced compeitive 15k rpm drives we tested
them, but none could touch the Seagates for raw, continuous throughput.

OTOH, my three Tivo units have Maxtor PATA drives. All three failed.
Two under warranty. I eventually replaced them all with another brand.

Michael

--
mgraves