Clearly disks fail.  You don't really want to lose all the work you put
into ripping and tagging your collection, so if you are smart you will
have a good backup strategy.  With disks at about 33 cents/GB backing
up to another disk is cheap and easy.

What I've done is simple.  I have a server machine that lives in a
spare room.  That is one of the big benifits of the squeezebox and
means I don't have to worry about noise or heat very much.  Internally,
I have a 320GB drive that holds all my "media," as my digital music
collection grows it will probably just hold music.  I bought this drive
because it seemed the best balance of size and cost per GB at the time.
I have the same disk in an external enclosure connected by USB.  Once a
week (or more if I am doing a lot of ripping) the internal drive is
automatically backuped.  That way I never forget. When my collection
becomes to large to fit on the 320, I'll put the external one inside.
By that time much bigger disks will be cheap and I'll get one of those
to use externally.

I prefer this solution to RAID because the most important thing RAID
gives you is no downtime for a disk failure. I don't need that, but do
like being protected from doing stupid stuff like accidentally deleting
some important file. Or a virus. Other reasonable people feel the other
way.

Scott

--
smnettles