opaqueice wrote:
> As I understand it, that rounding is the cause of jitter.  A (basic)
> DAC uses rising or falling edges as a clock, but since as you say those
> edges aren't very well defined that introduces errors.  If the DAC used
> its own clock, since that will not be exactly in sync with the
> transport's clock it will either fall behind or get ahead, causing
> errors eventually as it starts to read the wrong bit.  Same problem
> with a buffer, unless it's really really big I guess...

Most of the understandable discussions of jitter talk about the
timing of the signal being wrong, not the rounding of the edges
of the signal.

For signal transmission, minor artifacts of rounding on
the edges of the square waves are ignored.

And audio frequences are very modest,
RedBook audio is defined as 16 bit stereo at 44.1k
        = 176,400 bytes/second
        = 172 Kbytes/second

Digital signal rates in the gigahertz range are used all the time,
Megahertz is how you measure an original IBM PC. Red Book
audio is nothing. More than ten years ago, all the 'high end'
cd players did 16 times oversampling, which still has
the data rate at about 2 megabits/second.

If there is a problem, it isn't caused by rounding of
the square waves used for signaling.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html