highdudgeon Wrote:
> Actually, I have it on pretty good authority (an MD), and there is
> information out there to back this up, that the average (average) 40
> year old male tops off at around 14khz.  That's assuming no lifetime of
> regular rock concerts and airport tarmacs.  By age fifty, that number is
> cut in half -- you're down to 7khz.  And, from there, it's a continued
> nose dive.
Well, I've not quite got to 50 (I'm 49), but this thread prompted me to
test myself, and I can still *just* make out 16.8kHz. I don't consider
myself to have especially wonderful hearing (my wife often complains
that I don't hear her :-). I've been to my fair share of rock concerts
(including a Status Quo gig when I was fifteen that left my ears
ringing for two days). So I think your MD friend is being overly
pessimistic. Could it be in his line of work, he only tends to
investigate the hearing of those who report to him with problems?

--
cliveb