Robin Bowes Wrote:
> CardinalFang wrote:
> > Robin Bowes Wrote:
> >> 3. The very act of running the flac conversion routine on silicon
> >> inside
> >> the SB causes interference with other parts of the SB (EMF, change
> in
> >> current draw, voltage drops, etc.).
> >>

> > Would a quick check of the audio effect of varying current demand be
> > achievable by listening with the display on and off? That must draw
> > more current than any difference in instructions being executed or
> > speed of update of the display.
>

> It might do. Then again, it might not.

It's usually a feature of high-end gear to be able to turn off the
display for sound quality reasons, so it might be worth a blind test.
It is a genuine change in current demand, running a different code
sequence isn't.

Robin Bowes Wrote:

> > As far as I can see, decoding FLAC only requires a difference
> sequence
> > of code to be executed and code is code. The same digital data is
> sent
> > to the audio backend.
>
> But that code is not being executed when PCM data (as in PCM data
> received over the network) is being sent to the DAC.
>
> I have no evidence that this phenomenon has any effect on the output,
> or
> that it even exists at all. In fact, I'm highly skeptical. I am merely
> highlighting certain things that could *possibly* cause a difference
> between natively-decoded flac and flac files decoded on the server.

But at the end of the day, the code executed is uing the same
instruction set, in fact I bet it's tough to tell the differnce from
looking at a random code sequence whether FLAC decoding is going on
(unless you wrote the code or are good at spotting codecs). Unless the
processor has a sleep mode and shuts down when it has nothing to do,
it'll still be executing a code sequence from a fixed instruction set
all the time.

Unless it is using anciliary features like a FP unit for FLAC and not
for PCM, or changing clock speeds, it's actually doing the same thing
at a processor level - running instuctions from a limited set of ADDs,
MOVEs etc. It'd be a real audiophile mess if you had to choose which
compiler or machine code to use for sound quality reasons! :-)

What is far more likely in my mind is that FLAC decoding requires
less/different network activity or updating the display less often
cause fewer peaks of some sort and therefore there *could* be a
difference in power consuption and behaviour there (especially in a
weak WiFi area), but I think we're clutching at straws here.

--
CardinalFang

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever...