khewa Wrote:
> regardless of how good the TacT is, bottom line is I can't afford the
> TacT ($10,000 for a DRC is not viable). So a sub $1000 PC solution will
> do, and I believe it can be a viable solution for that amount. Even if
> there are differences between the PC based solution and TacT, I'm sure
> it is a subtle difference and not a day and night kind of difference
> that will justify the cost of the TacT. Of course, if the cost of the
> TacT is of no concern, then it is another matter altogether. However,
> for most of us, value for money is an important criteria.

Remember - there's absolutely no guarantee that TacT is, in fact,
better.  I don't know this for sure, but probably the TacT does its
equalization in the digital domain.  If so, it is nothing more or less
than a computer running some embedded software closely related to what
you'd be running on your PC using inguz' plugin or an alternative.  Of
course it's also an amplifier, but since all of us already have a
computer, SB, and amp, that's of no particular benefit.

So while it might or might not be better, it's also expensive and
inflexible - software can always be re-written and developed to handle
new formats or requirements, but hardware is static and inflexible (I
noticed on the TacT website you can update some old models to their new
firmware - for $1200).

I'm not criticizing TacT - on the contrary, it's something I'm
considering - but certainly not until I've convinced myself that the
available computer-based options are inferior.

--
opaqueice