ceejay Wrote:
> Allow me to put in a plug for some enhancement requests I put in some
> time ago: this thread
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18946 introduces an
> incremental set of enhancements that would collectively make Classical
> music much easier to handle.  They've collected quite a few votes, but
> obviously not enough yet..... feel free to register at bugzilla and add
> your support if you feel so inclined...
>
> Ceejay.

Yes, I've looked at these before. The "multi-level" browse notion - the
idea of browsing by cascading a series of selections, essentially
creating a stack of "field=value" SQL queries where each query applies
to the result of the immediately preceding query, is how I've thought
music browsing software should work for years. Of course, this isn't a
complete solution - as you get at with your preceding requests, you
need a more extended (really a completely new) metadata schema to make
this work. I think where things tend to get messy is that most folks
want to think of this in terms of "tagging". IMO, given the
non-standard specification and use of tags, we're never going to get a
flexible solution without creating a layer of indirection between the
metadata and tagging schemata. That way, we can build a rigorously
defined music metadata schema, and then map it to whatever (likely
sub-optimal) tagging representation a given library can deal with.

If the preceding sounds a bit cryptic, I will try to clarify in a
couple of days. I am currently corresponding with the leader of the
Well Tempered Database project, and I think some of what they're
working on will have a very positive impact down the road.

--
MahlerFreak