>From recent experiences it looks like a SB at full volume is still
attentuating signals by several db. This is not a good thing in
audiophile circles, there needs to be a way to pass the bits through
unaltered.

This came about when I was showing off my SB3 I2S out to DAC to some
friends, they said it was softer and overall didn't sound as good. Some
things were better than the USB input but others were worse. We then
tried it with softsqueeze and got the same results, the output was
softer and not as good sounding as with direct to the USB input. This
was on a mac using AIFF files.

I then tried this on my linux system at home and got the same results,
softer on both the I2S out and softsqueeze. The very low jitter with
the I2S direct connect does make some things sound better, but the
friends were right, other things are worse. And the things that are
worse also show up with softsqueeze. I tried this with both slimserver
6.2.2 and 6.3.1 and got the same results.

So it looks like either slimserver is attenuating the data its sending
out, or both the SB3 and softsqueeze are attenuating by the same
amount, even thogh the volume is set to max. BTW I made sure the
"preamp volume" was set to 0.

Taking a little bit of time pouring over the source code I see that
there are two different methods of sending volume control values to the
box, the  'old' 128 value method and the new fractional system. I was
not able to figure out which is being used with the SB3 and
softsqueeze. I was just wondering if there was something like a
roundoff error in the conversion from 0-40, 0-100 and 1-11 (the three
ranges I can use to set the volume) and the actual value sent to the
box.

Later this week I was going to try hacking up squeezeslave and seeing
if I can bypass the volume control all together and see if that makes
any difference.

One other thing to try is the digital out and switch between affected
by volume control or not. Right now I don't have a readily available
S/PDIF DAC so I can't easily try that myself. Has anybody else tried
that and seen a difference in volume over the digital out when
switching modes? (if it stays the same that could still mean the
slimserver it self is changing the data).

Should I post this question over in the developer forum?

I was thinking that audiophiles might actually be interested in whether
its sending bit perfect data or not.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson