GreenMan Wrote:
> Ok, this makes sense. However, I've noticed that nothing I've ripped to
> lossless actually ever says 1411kbps CBR. It's usually 600 to 800 or
> so.
So we need to know what is meant by "ripping to lossles".  What
software are you using, and to what format?  There are lossless
compressions which may be applied which would result in about a 600-800
kbps aggregate: the popular ones which come to mind are FLAC, Apple
Lossless, and Windows Media Lossless.

Of those three, FLAC is probably the best choice for use with Slim
setups, because it's both a publicly-well-defined format and it's
decoded natively by Squeezeboxen.  But if you're using, say,
Microsoft's or Apple's thrown-in-with-the-OS software, the lossless
compression format offered you won't be FLAC, it'll be that vendor's
own proprietary lossless encoding.

In such a situation, even though the available lossless compression
gives you "free" space savings -- no bits are harmed, they come back
out the other end -- for the greatest compatibility with other
software, I'd suggest considering throwing away the space (if you can
spare it) on keeping your master versions of tracks losslessly ripped
and not compressed at all.  The commonly-available uncompressed
lossless formats are AIFF and WAV, which have essentially the same
internal music data but AIFF has support for descriptive tags within
the file and I believe WAV still doesn't.  So I use AIFF.  Even if
you're stuck on Windows, you should be able to rip to AIFF if you
install the Windows version of iTunes.

--
jbm0