TiredLegs Wrote:
> If you rip your HDCDs to lossless files that produce data streams
> bit-for-bit identical to the original data, the digital output of a
> 16-bit audio card should be properly decoded by an external
> HDCD-compatible DAC. You don't need a 24-bit card, since the original
> data on the CD is only 16-bits (even though it can represent up to
> 20-bits of data through the HDCD dynamic range compression/expansion).

I think you misunderstood my question. I am aware that ripping HDCDs to
a lossless format, if done correctly, will preserve the HDCD
information. What I was wondering was, if it is possible for windows
media player to decode an HDCD stream and output it as a 20bit LPCM
stream from the digital out of a higher end sound card.

Nikhil