> Yet when I grab the bits going to the DAC chip itself in the SB3 the
> volume is lower than when I send the same file through a normal player
> to my external DAC.

Are the analogue gains in both systems the same?

Exactly the same digital data, with a different DAC o/p spec and
analogue gain post-DAC, will result in different levels. Is your I2S
design such that the combined DAC o/p voltage + subsequent analogue
stage gains are identical to the SB3's internal gains?

> This sems to point to something in the volume control processing that
> just goes to the analog outs and not the digital out. Whatever this is
> also seems to be effecting softsqueeze in the same way as the actual
> hardware.

The volume control for both is done at exactly the same place as far as
I understand it. It's not done within the DAC, but in the data before
the DAC, so the both the digital out and the data to the DAC are the
same, hence the question above.

Andy.

--
Andrew L. Weekes