IMHO, bass traps are far more important than absorbing first order
reflections, and there are some bass traps out there that pass as "nice
enough looking"...check out the "Bass Busters" and "Phase 4" products
here:

http://www.echobusters.com/pages/descriptions.html

You could put them in the corners and put a lamp or some other
displayable item on top as decorations.

I also use the "rigid fiberglass behind the painting" trick...most of
the paintings I have only allow for a 1" fiberglass board to fit, but
they are still effective.

If you don't have a WAF to account for, I also recommend checking out
Eighth Nerve.  A non-traditional design philosophy, but the Adapt
products are surprisingly good and cheaper (although still somewhat
expensive) than a lot of other fiberglass-based products:

http://www.eighthnerve.com

(disclaimer that I am an Eighth Nerve dealer, but also a note that this
is what I use in my listening room...and I did have a choice of using
something else that I deal)...

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.