Wow!!!! This is an active forum!  Thanks for all the replies.  I
reconfigured the Digital outputs to fixed and set the volume setting to
"Disable Volume Adjustment".  I have not hooked everything back up yet,
but as soon as I do I will let you know.  BTW - I tried two S/PDIF
cables - each less than 1.5 metres - last night, and also plugged the
SB3 into a separate output on a separate house breaker to the set, and
my first post was after all that.  I will keep trying everything to get
this to sound good though, since the convenience is addictive :)

Robert.

--
Robbymagman