Robbymagman Wrote:
> POSITIVE UPDATE........
>
> Yesterday, I changed the settings (as suggested) for the SqueezeBox
> (SB3) to output a fixed digital output and also set it to disable
> volume adjustment. In addition to that (you guys might want to try
> this) I muted the analog outputs so that the least possible (except the
> fixed digital output) was happening within the box. The results........a
> very large improvement. The differences now between the DVD Player
> through the DIP and the SB3 is much, much less than before - which is
> saying a lot, since the DIP/DVD sounds quite good. The character,
> detail and speed of the two sources (I do real-time A/B) are extremely
> similar, with the SB3 probably having the edge on detail - no doubt due
> to EAC's stringent RIP error correction - however the DVD/DIP still has
> an analog smoothness and absence of digital signature that the SB3
> hasn't quite achieved. Now that may be due to the cheesy switching PSU
> of the SB3, so a good linear PSU may actually put the SB3 ahead! So the
> next steps/experiments are to try a linear PSU on the SB3 and also to
> put the SB3 on the DIP.
>
> I will say this though.......I started listening last night at about
> 10:00pm and after the A/B tests, which took till about 10:30pm, I
> decided to just listen to some music through the SB3 and relax . I sat
> back in my listening chair and selected favourite songs, one after the
> other - all without ever getting up or moving more than my hand. It was
> 12:30am before I got up from the listening seat. This thing may be
> addictive................

I have now listened for some time with anlogue output muted, and I now
have, by far, the best digital sound I have had so far in my system. A
major contribution to the good sound is that I was able to go back to
coaxial SPDIF (from TOSLINK). Coax used to sound too "shrill" before,
but now it sounds just right. Focused beyond belief, and sound stage
depth and width fantastic too. (TOSLINK now sounds fuddy in
comparison.)

Live sound levels now means "I'm there", so many thanks for your
invaluable tip on muting analogue output! (Just gotta watch my hearing,
as live levels now sound so freakin right..)

--
P Floding