Hi everyone,

I'm going to get a squeezebox 2 and am debating which of the following
will be a better solution:

1. The Bolder cable analogue sonicap platinum and silver bybees mods +
PSU, directly feeding 2 Musical fidelity A3.2cr power amps (no
pre-amp).

2. The Bolder digital mods with a silver bybee on the coax output, with
an external DAC (possibly a Storm D02). Then direct connection to the 2
x A3.2cr amps.

My speakers are Ruark prologue one reference, my current source (which
the SB will be replacing if all goes to plan) is an Arcam FMJ CD23.

I know a lot of people like the analogue output of the modified SB, but
I wonder how much of that is personal preference - I like transparency
and imaging in my music, a lot of people find my system slightly thin
sounding but I love the CD23 and MF amps because of this "analytical"
tendency and would want to replicate this same sound as much as
possible in the new setup.

So, can anyone tell me how they find the sound of the boulder modified
SB through the analogue outputs - especially someone who likes arcam
gear (or ideally has a CD23) and can draw a comparison.

I guess option 2 appeals to me, since it allows more flexibility, for
example the SB could be changed for a newer model in future if some new
feature was wanted, and the DAC could still be used.

However, if the SB's internal DAC is really *THAT* good, I guess I'd be
happy using it as an analogue source. Part of this is probably disbelief
that a £200 component's DAC can really be better than the ring DAC in my
not-so-old £1200 CD player, but if it's true then I guess I ought to be
happy I can upgrade for such small cost.

My other question is how much diffence the $750 bolder PSU makes over
the cheaper solution of a modded linear supply of some kind - it's a
lot dearer, am I going to appreciate the difference? I know my setup
isn't super high end at present, but I consider myself quite a critical
listener and found quite a lot of stuff I listened to back when I
brought the CD23 left me wanting, despite being around the same price
range and being widely regarded as excellent sources.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me.

Paul

--
bitmonkey