reeve_mike wrote:
Pat Farrell Wrote:
This is way off topic, but which ones? And how vintage?
Most of the classic Neumann's like the U87 or M50 fall off pretty seriously. Now my KM184's go up high, but they aren't vintage.

You got me [:-)], they were KM83i, so I probably should have said "old"
rather than "vintage" ...

But the point I was trying to make was that until 44.1/16 audio
engineers in general (see below) pushed and pushed for wider and wider
bandwidths ...

Ah, well, I hate to break this to you, but according to the Neumann site, under their entries for "Historic Microphones"
http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=hist_microphones&cid=km83_publications
they say that the frequency response of the KM83 is 40 - 16K hz.
(The KM83 and KM83I are the same except for one uses XLR and the other Tuschel connectors).

The specs don't say if it is down 3 dB or some other number.

This is typical of serious, professional microphones,
they fall off at each end of the classic 20-20kHz range.

The key is that the 20-20kHz bandwidth was well accepted
long before Sony and Philips picked 44.1kHz for their sampling rate.

--
Pat Farrell         PRC recording studio
http://www.pfarrell.com/PRC