eq72521;134717 Wrote:
> You're kidding right?  I can often tell a typical WMA compressed song
> inside of five seconds, at least if it's at ~128kbps or below.  Who are
> these people that think it's better?  Have they tried lame?  I cringe
> when I hear WMA.

And you must be joking! I can tell MP3 even at 320k. On a good
orchestral recording it just can't reproduce the soundstage. Virtually
no atmosphere. The only real answer is to use a lossless format which
rules MP3 out anymore.

WMA-lossless is fine for sound, has good compression and can be played
on most players. Beware, even without DRM, Microsoft may try to control
what you do with it.

The same comments stand for Apple formats.

Flac is fine for sound, the compression may not be quite as good but
the difference is very small and it's open format so you can guarentee
you will be free to use the music as you like. It is also a little more
flexible with tagging but it does have less player support.

If you must have compression then use ogg, it beats the pants off the
rest for sound and it's an open format with the same tagging as Flac.

--
MrStan