dpayeur wrote:

> Please enlight me about all this. How could a bit of data be added or
> dropped without screwing the whole sample in an audible way (even with
> error correction).

Even though the data is digital, the transmission path is analogue. The
digital signal is transmitted as changes in voltage. Interference to, or
corruption of the changes in voltage means that it may not be possible
to accurately decode the digital information at the receiver end. With
SPDIF, the timing information is encoded in the signal - the clock is
re-constructed using the gaps between samples as the timing guide. If
that gap is out then the digital information can be wrong.

R.