Softwire,

The only thing I ever polish is my shoes, and that very rarely. As to
your using your SB as a transport (you didn't mention your DAC), I'd
suggest you first try a good glass toslink -
http://uniqueproductsonline.com/gltodiopca.html
and yes, I've heard all the badmouthing of toslink, but these are not
the toslinks of yore. Unless your SB2/3 to DAC spdif link is
galvanically isolated with a transformer at at least one end, IMO,
you're better off with a good inexpensive glass toslink.
Beyond that, I suggest really good power conditioning for your SB and
DAC.

FWIW,
Paul

--