You took the words right out of my keyboard.

(Except that it's "fibre" not "finer" needles. Don't ask me why - I'm not that old - but it's here in black and white in front of me in The Songs of Michael Flanders and Donald Swann, Elm Tree Books and St George's Press, 1977 price £6.50, also contained in - I believe - the CD At the Drop of Another Hat).

It should be compulsory listening to all those beginning to show the symptoms of the unfortunate condition of audiophilia, especially the short monologue in the middle. At least they'll have been warned what people outside the asylum will think of them. Sigh. And carry on regardless, no doubt.

"The ear can't hear as high as that,
Still, I ought to please any passing bat
With my high fidelity."