I've had my SB3 a few months now, but just recently finally got around
to comparing the same tracks played from cd vs. an apple lossless file
over my squeezebox.  To my amazement, the squeezebox sounded
significantly better, on every track.  I definitely found that the
soundstage was deeper and clearer, the vocals all seemed to blend
together much better, and the bass was better as well.  Why?

I don't really have an audiophile setup, just middling gear, but in an
acoustically treated room.  I'm letting my receiver (Denon 2803)
perform the D-A from both sources (SB3 and Denon DVD-2200), and I've
made sure there's no EQ going on with either input.

--
brclow