After tinkering with DIY loudspeakers for 20 years I am now convinced
that active crossover and bi/tri amping is the way to go to get the
most out of your loudspeakers (usually the weak link).

Here are the reasons for active crossover/tri amping:
1) Removing the passive crossover between amp and driver provides the
best possible damping of the driver. As a result it feels like the
“fog” has cleared from the sound (A/B test with my passive crossover
DIYs).
2) It is much easier to adjust for the different sensitivity of the
woofer / mid / tweeter without the need of an equalizer (which usually
degrades the sound).
3) Most active crossover (analog or digital) use a 24 dB Linkwitz/Riley
alignment which is phase coherent.
4) Active crossovers allow for DIY R&D (a.k.a trial and error) within
reasonable time and budget limits. Just turn the knobs.
5) Allows tweaking the single drivers gains (change equalization) when
listening to different recording (they are all over the map)
6) May render expensive room correction fixes unneeded.

Fore more info see the very well made articles at
http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

While in pro sound multi-amping is, among others, a way to maximize SPL
per $ it also provide the ideal low volume solution for the critical
listening. It allows increasing the gain to the woofer when it needs it
the most: at low volumes.

OTOH the drawbacks of multi-amping are:
1)      Cable complexity: crossover interconnects to 6 amp channels
2)      Speaker cables: 6
3)      High probability of ground loops hum due to number of  connections
(balanced connectors, isolation transformer, lifting ground, … may be
necessary)
4)      Did I mention cables?

I did not mention the cost of tri-amping as a con because it can
actually be quite less than the (almost) equivalent sounding single
stereo amp system.

Enough with the background info, it’s all in the implementation
details…
I also considered DEQX PDC2.6P and the DCX2496. The first, although
seems an ideal solution, is beyond my price point, the second not quite
right for preamp use, plus its DAC received mixed reviews.

My dream box is a “Transporter” with a built in DEQX PDC2.6P.

My actual solution is to use a 24 dB Linkwitz/Riley 234 DBX active
crossover. I had to custom made the cables to connect it to the SB3 and
the three stereo amps (TRS to RCA).
The amps are: two Audiosource AMP3 (woofer + mid) and one Audiosource
AMP1A (tweeters).
These amps have the possibility to adjust the gain if needed.

I found that the 234 DBX crossover is a perfect match for the SB3
analog output (at max volume). I also keep the Audiosource amp gain at
max.
Thus the only variable volume control I use is the input gain on the
crossover itself (-12 to +12 dB, one per channel). Where -12 dB is
background music, 0dB is just right, +6dB is to impress the guest.
The only minor drawback of this volume control is the lack of remote
control but, to my surprise, this is not bothersome since I can
remotely pause the music when the phone rings or wife calls.

If anybody is using the DEQX PDC2.6P I would like to hear what you
think about it.

--
arge