adamslim;140952 Wrote:
> Is it reasonable for me to summarise your post to say that you think it
> makes more difference by going from passive to active than by going
> from active to digital active?

Yes. An active crossover solves the main issue of passive crossover
networks (even the ones designed to be “critically damped”): they keep
the drivers resonating long after the signal is gone. No matter how
good your DAC, AMP or speaker cable is, a passive crossover will water
down the damping quality of these components.

On the other hand a driver connected directly to an amp will quickly
dissipate its kinetic energy since “absorbed” by the amp (which looks
like a short from the driver point of view). The human ear is very
sensible to resonance and reverb (Which is why, among other things, I
construct speakers with a minimal baffle around the drivers). The
longer are these “ringing tails/ reverb” the more noticeable (easy to
locate) will be the source of the sound (where the speaker is) which is
the opposite effect of the sough after “open soundstage” (= can’t tell
where the sound comes from) that speaker manufacturer like to advertise
(of course speaker positioning and room acoustic make a big impact
too).
To make the point more scientifically, you could perform this simple
experiment: while talking, position the flat palm of your hands on both
sides of your mouth (to create a reverb of your voice on your palms).
You’ll notice that the tone of your voice will be changed by the
presence of your hands. In this case the delay of this reverb is less
the 1 millisecond. My approximate calculation is: 0.1m(distance of
hands from mouth) divided speed of sound  300m/sec = 0.3 millisecond.
One millisecond more can actually double the typical decay time of a
tweeter.

Don’t get me wrong; the rare well designed passive crossover speakers
can sound pretty good. They can be well equalized (natural sounding),
phase coherent, low reverb, dampened with “mechanical” tricks and
dynamic. But to get that sense of effortless “ease” that you get from
tri amping you do need a 400w Audio Research (or forget the dynamic).

Digital active crossovers (speaker management system!) provide a
refinement over the analog ones in their capacity to perform better
equalization/gain control with lower S/N. But the low tech “detail” of
volume control still remains elusive.

--
arge