I'll grant  you that.  See my post on speakers.  But, when it comes to
electronic components, we can learn quite a lot from the specs and
testing results and, at the very least, that should give us information
for an initial winnowing out process.  After all, you're not going to
listen to every component on the planet before buying -- that wouldn't
be practical.

So, knowing things about jitter, output impedance (for amps,) frequency
response, etc., are important and useful.  Most manufacturers publish
some of this data...and some of it doesn't mean a lot.  What's the
audible difference in an amp with THD of .05% and .005%?  None.
But...it would be nice to know something about damping factor and have
a look at the frequency response curve!  When buying digital
components, knowing something about jitter tells us about how well
something might perform.  Sean did just this, by publishing that
comparison chart.

I guess that part of my issue with the modders -- and I suppose I could
have been less sarcastic and more polite about this, mea culpa, and
don't beat me over the head about it, please -- is that 1) they
specifically do not subject their equipment to objective, publishable
testing themselves or by other people, and 2) rely on spelling out all
the parts they will replace...which sounds impressive, but really means
nothing to the layman.

Like Sean and others have said, it is quite possible to improve on
products via modifications -- I don't deny that nor do I deny anyone
the right to pursue it as a passion or hobby.  It is true, though, that
it is awfully easy to mess things up.  For instance, you're NOT going to
lower the noise floor of a DAC.  Anything that comes after it will only
increase the noise floor...so be careful right?  It would be cool,
then, for these folks to publish measurement results, comparing stock
units to their units.  If the differences are there, they would be
verified in numbers, and it could only serve expand their market.

--
highdudgeon