highdudgeon;144229 Wrote:
> No kidding?  What's the difference in using the Transporter analog outs
> and using it through the Dodson (ahem, aside from price)?

I've actually been really suprised at how close it is between the
Dodson and the Transporter's analog outs.  I've had a lot of sources
put in my system (as part of the audio club I belong to, the Dodson has
become a sort of measuring stick, where people who want to try their
DAC/cdp against "the best" bring them for shootouts)...and the
Transporter IMHO has come the closest to sounding like the Dodson than
just about any other source I've had here; the overall performance in
audiophile terms (soundstage, imaging, extension, etc) is very close,
but the more surprising aspect of it is that the general "character" of
the sound is also very similar.  I've heard sources that have equaled
the Dodson in the audiophile terms, but this is the first time I've
heard one that has similar character.  (The Dodson uses Burr-Brown DAC
chips, vs. the Transporter's AKM DAC, so this is even more
surprising).

In the end, the Dodson does present a slightly more refined sound IMHO,
but whether that is worth the extra money is a personal decision.

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.
http://www.sonicspirits.com