Pat Farrell;149621 Wrote:
> That a solid state
> amplifier would sound significantly better after 100 hours of
> operation
> is hard for me to believe from an engineering view. And if it was
> real,
> an audiophile would reasonably expect that the manufacturer make 100
> hours of playing music be part of the manufacturing line process for
> amps costing as much as a car.

I see what you mean about amps - one day I'd like to go for Bryston
amps, and they do adhere to the burn-in idea:

http://www.bryston.ca/14bsst_m.html

> Unique Burn-In Procedure:
>
> Each and every Bryston product undergoes a very extensive “burn-in”
> procedure. Following a complete operational checkout, every amplifier
> is placed on a test-bench and cycled on and off at one hour intervals
> for 4 days at full output. This extremely rigorous burn-in quickly
> “matures” components and weeds out any potential premature failures.

At least they admit it's for weeding out failures, which I agree is
useful.  As to "maturing" components, ?

Can't argue with a 20-year warranty though.

--
Mark Lanctot