I'd just like to give an update on the progress on these tweaks.

I eliminated one of the two analogue grounding interconnects, since I
figured nothing good could come from having more ground loops.

Generally I needed to move the connector often to maintain the improved
sound quality. The lazier I got, the less fantastic the sound became.

Today I decided to try contact treatment in the form of SST (silver
stuff). It is probably not for everyone, since potentially at some time
in the future I might have to remove the silver paste (at least that's
what some people claim).

Anyway, I treated ground sleve and signal pin on the digital
interconnect (coax) and the ground sleve on the extra grounding
interconnect.

Result?

I can confidently say that this is by far the best sound I have ever
heard. Even better than before.

A strict A/B test might be almost useless (even if it could be done),
since I now listen about 5 to 10 dB louder than before! It is worrying
to see the preamps volume readout, but it sure sounds fantastic!

I feel very confident now that I've been listening to large proportions
of downconverted cr*p (HF) before (at least that is the only feasible
explanation I can think of at the moment). YMMV, but I haven't heard
any CD playback system that approaches the sound I have at the moment.

As before my preamp is a TacT RCS 2.2x with room correction in use. It
also has a power supply upgrade by Aberdeen, and some internal contact
treatment tweaks by myself.

--
P Floding