Jenks;151197 Wrote:
> I am stunned to hear any experienced audiophile say they doubt burn in.

I'm not at all convinced about burn-in for cables, but I do accept that
they will degrade/change over time as oxydation and corrosion set in.
The surface changes may have some effect on the electrical properties
of the cable, but the usual trick of pulling them out and putting them
back in again usually gets you back to the start. If you think you
cable has "burnt-in", does it go back to the start if you clean the
contacts?

The regular cycle of heating up and cooling down of equipment must also
affect other components over time, especially amplifiers, but cables are
substantial metal objects that don't get hot, so I can't see the
crystalline structure or eletric properties changing much at the low
temperatures they operate at.

Burn-in is the brain acclimatising to the new sound in my view, but
hey, it's just a viewpoint.

--
CardinalFang