opaqueice;151461 Wrote:
> Well, here we're mainly trying to determine if there is a difference at
> all.   Deciding which is better, as you are pointing out, is tricky and
> another question entirely.
>
> I was worried that one SB might simply be slightly louder than the
> other.  This could happen
>
> 1) because one of the SBs is intrisically louder than the other due to
> some variations in the calibrations of the DAC chip outputs or
> something, or
>
> 2) because the two power supplies output a slightly different average
> voltage, which might change the SB output voltage slightly but have no
> other effect.
>
> Case 1) I think is ruled out as an explanation because (if I understood
> correctly) they switched the two half way through, but is still
> important to get straight.  2) however could explain the results, and
> while it would mean there *is* a difference, not in a very interesting
> way (for example if this was the case you could make the linear supply
> sound worse or better in the test by changing its voltage).

I think strict A/B is useful to establish if a difference exists, as
you say. But sometimes the difference is very, very obvious, in which
case A/B becomes pretty meaningless. Sometimes A/B with level matching
is used to try to appoint a winner in a test, and that is a big no-no,
IMO.

Also, a negative A/B doesn't prove one iota.

The real test of a system's quality is how many hours at live level one
can listen without getting tired. (Unless one has defective hearing, in
which case all tests are meaningless.)

--
P Floding