adamslim;151571 Wrote:
> I'm with Phil here.  A/B is great for showing differences, but what does
> that mean?  I find I have to live for a system for quite some before I
> can really decide if it's better.
>
> Yes there are often gross differences in tonality, but these don't
> really mean anything.  I can thoroughly enjoy radically different
> systems; there's no single 'best', IMO.
>
> The stuff I buy is the stuff that allows me to really enjoy the music,
> and a wide range of music at that, within my value for money envelope.
> I need to have a system that I can enjoy for hours on end, not one that
> sounds impressive in a five-minute A/B.
>
> Adam

When it comes to comparing systems an impressive, but flawed,
reproduction can "win". I read an interesting article about this on a
site of a loudspeaker manufacturer.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/designersnotebook/chapter7/chapter7-1/index.php
(A multipage document, the second page illustrates what tonal balance
does to the stereo image!)

Also discussed is the effect of the hearing adapting to the sound,
making A/B for quality tests pretty meningless.

Luckily I can get whatever tonal balance I like with my TacT..

--
P Floding