azinck3;151684 Wrote:
> Don't know about your Bose specifically, but I suspect it's like most
> mid-to-low-level consumer audio equipment in that it converts all
> analog inputs into digital, then back to analog again before going to
> the amps.  That adds 2 extra conversions in the pipeline.  This is done
> because it's easier to use IC's for various preamp and processing duties
> (and you can add a lot more capabilities) than to attempt to do
> everything in the analog domain.  Some receivers or preamps have a
> "straight", or "bypass" setting which bypasses this conversion.
>
> In other words, no matter what you do you'll be using the bose's DAC.
> It's just a question of whether or not the signal will go straight
> there via a digital connection, or a roundabout way through the
> squeezebox's DAC->analog cable->Bose's ADC.  You're almost certainly
> better off with the digital connection.  Your ears didn't lie!

Agreed.

Also to add into the mix: Since it is an integrated system including
the speakers and sub, they may be doing some processing to match the
frequency response of their speakers, or to boost, for example, the
lower-mid range for a perceived "loudness" boost.  I do not know if,
how, or to what extent they might be doing this, and whether it applies
to the analog inputs any differently from the digital inputs, but it is
something I'd suspect if you're hearing a big difference.

--
seanadams