PhilNYC;153822 Wrote:
> And here's a pretty good paper by dCS as an overview of jitter as it
> relates to audio:
>
> http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/technical_papers/jitter.pdf
An interesting point made in this paper is the claim that asynchronous
sample rate conversion (ASRC) embeds incoming jitter into the signal,
and that low jitter sources with short cable runs should be used when
the receiver employs ASRC.

Contrast this to Benchmark's claim (and published measurements) that
the DAC1 (which uses ASRC) is immune to incoming jitter - to the extent
that you can stick it on the end of a thousand feet of digital
interconnect with no ill effects.

There are precious few companies around whose literature I would be
inclined to accept on good faith, but dCS and Benchmark are two of
them. And yet they appear to have diametrically opposed views regarding
ASRC. Which leaves me in a bit of a quandry.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?